- This event has passed.
AstroLight Festival at Scienceworks
8 September 2018 @ 6:00 pm – 10:30 pm
Scienceworks comes alive after-hours for AstroLight Festival with special guests, fun science activities for all ages, and a whole field full of telescopes for stargazing!
- Meet experts from the European Space Agency and Australia’s space industry.
- Experience hands-on activities, and ideas to blow your mind from over 20 astronomy, light, and space science organisations.
- Explore virtual space travel for yourself with Opaque Space’s award-winning virtual reality experience Spacewalk.
- Enjoy Planetarium and Lightning Room shows.
- Satisfy your hunger with intergalactic treats served up from food trucks and the café all night.
Speaker program includes:
- International Space Station flight controller Andrea Boyd and former astronaut trainer Dr Gail Iles discussing human spaceflight and possibilities for our species going beyond the Earth.
- Andrea Boyd and aerospace engineer Dr Naomi Mathers will talk about the new Australian Space Agency and the important role that Australia has to play in this accelerating industry.
- OzGrav researchers Debatri Chattopadhyay, Lucy Strang and Hannah Middleton will enlighten you as they talk about spaghettification, gravitational waves and other exciting developments in astronomy.
- Short and sweet talks in the Energy Lab, covering Indigenous astronomy, the discovery of baby planets, how scientists use light to make the regenerating cells of a zebrafish fluoresce, and more.
Tickets: $12 – 25, and can be purchased from the Musuem Victoria‘s website.
Image credit: Stewie Donn