About National Science Week Victoria
First held in 1997, National Science Week has become one of Australia’s largest festivals. Typically, a staggering 1.2 million people participate in more than 2,100 events and activities. With everything from science festivals, music and comedy shows, expert panel discussions, interactive hands-on displays, open days and online activities, National Science Week is proudly supported by the Australian Government; partners CSIRO, the Australian Science Teachers Association and the ABC; and sponsors Cosmos, Discovery Science, New Scientist and Popular Science.
In Victoria, a Coordinating Committee comprised predominantly of volunteers from various institutions, businesses, governments, and organisations, works with national and state partners to coordinate and promote Victorian National Science Week activities. The Committee’s commitment to communicating science enables National Science Week to be such a great success.
From 2018, the Committee acts under delegation from the Inspiring Victoria Board and the Royal Society of Victoria, the accountable body for the management of Victoria’s calendar of National Science Week events.
National Science Week Victoria Coordinating Committee members
(current October 2020)
- Ms Kate Barnard – Chair, Scienceworks, Museums Victoria
- Dr Peter Skilton – Immediate Past Chair, Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society
- Ms Rena Singh – Manager, Inspiring Victoria, The Royal Society of Victoria
- Mr Mike Flattley – CEO, The Royal Society of Victoria
- Mr Nick Besley – Thin Green Line Foundation
- Ms Claire Farrugia – 3CR’s Lost in Science, Science Gallery Melbourne
- Dr Ann Pisarevsky – Science Teacher’s Association of Victoria
- Ms Catriona Nguyen-Robertson, Lecturer in Science Communication, University of Melbourne
- Ms Helen van de Pol – Operations & Communications Lead, Melbourne Bioinformatics
- Dr Malcolm Jenkins – Deputy Director Strategic Engagement, Defence Science and Technology
- Ms Jessica Douglas – Director of External Affairs, OneFortyOne